Phil Cambell in the book Saving Eutychus: How to Preach God’s Word & Keep People Awake said, “Clarity comes from what you leave out. Clarity comes from focus. Usually, complexity comes from over-inclusion.”
He then gives 10 ways for your sermon to be clearer:
- The more you say, the less people will remember.
- Make the big idea shape everything you say.
- Choose the shortest, most ordinary words you can.
- Use shorter sentences.
- Forget everything your English teacher taught you.
- Repeat yourself.
- Translate narratives into the present tense.
- People love to hear about people.
- Work towards your key text.