Every Tuesday morning, I review a book that I read recently. If you missed any, you can read past reviews here. This week’s book is Follow the Leader: The One Thing Great Leaders Have that Great Followers Want (kindle version) by Emmanuel Gobillot.
This is an important book and one very different from most leadership books. While most leadership books point out what makes a great leader, how to create a vision, strategy, develop teams, etc. Gobillot looks at what makes followers follow certain leaders. What attracts them.
The big idea of the book is: Followers make leaders.
In short, this book is about charisma without ever saying that.
Gobillot looks at how leaders have:
- Emotional logic
These are the things that attract followers to certain leaders.
Here are a few things that jumped out to me:
- What is special about the leader or leaders you thought of, is true of all great leaders, is that they are chosen by one or more people as the person from whom they wish to take direction. It is followers who make leaders.
- Leaders get the followers they deserve.
- If they have stopped following it is due to the leader losing their appeal not to followers losing the will to follow.
- Without followers there can be no leadership.
- The most reasoned choices cannot be made without an emotional component. It is emotions that drive us to listen to reason. If reason is the vector to our actions, then emotions are the thrust that propel us to act.
- We choose to follow who we choose to follow because it kind of feels right.
- The people followers are attracted to are those able to ignite their emotional logic. They are the people to whom they have an emotional as well as rational reaction.
- Charisma is indeed the best way we have found as followers to describe emotional logic in action. It is what attracts us to leaders.