The title at the top is one of the most basic truths in the Bible. It is on every page of the Bible. Yet, it is also one of the hardest things for people to believe.
This Sunday, as we continue our series Jesus Changes Everything I’ll be preaching from John 3:16 – 21 and looking at one of the most familiar verses in the Bible, John 3:16, a verse that most people inside and outside of the church do not really believe is true.
Here’s what I mean:
- Some people don’t believe God really exists and so the idea of God’s love is an idea that is not true and unneeded.
- Some believe God is this distant, judgmental, harsh, arrogant God that couldn’t possibly love anybody.
- Others believe that God loves the world, but not them. This is why they beat themselves up over their sin, try to prove themselves or work hard to “be good.”
- Others wonder if God has forgiven them for everything as they continue to ask for forgiveness for this they’ve done, trying to make it right.
- Others can believe that God loves the world and see that as a nice idea, but don’t see why they need God’s love.
Remember, we meet at 8300 E. Speedway Blvd. at 10am.