At the end of each day at the Preach the Word conference they did a panel discussion with the speakers for the day. Here are some things that jumped out at me from the discussion with Justin Holcomb, Alex Early and Leonce Crump:
- You can grow a church through preaching through books of the Bible.
- When you go to minister to people, take someone with you. Don’t hang out with non-Christians on your own. Use that as a chance to mentor and disciple new leaders.
- An indicative in the Bible is not the gospel, it is often the fruit of the gospel. It is describing, “this is the reality.”
- Everyone wants to be a good person. An effective communicator sets up the tension that you can’t be.
- Sometimes guys plant churches because they want to have a crowd to preach to. That’s not a good reason to plant.
- You narrow your approach to preaching if you don’t think about who is in the room.
- You can’t go wrong preaching Jesus because he’s always confrontational but always welcoming.
- To reach your neighbor, you must know your neighbor.
- You are a lazy pastor if you don’t evaluate your preaching.