I’m watching the online conference Preach Better Sermons today and wanted to share some of the learnings I picked up. One of the speakers was Steven Furtick, who is the founding pastor of Elevation Church. He’s also the author of Greater and Sun Stand Still.
Here’s what I got out of Steven’s segment:
- Steven plans 4 months in advance and finds this keeps things fresh in his mind.
- Steven is very involved in the creative elements and process of each service because of his passion for that.
- For a successful creative sermon process: listen to the pastor’s vision, let the artists work on what comes to mind from this (separate from the pastor), bring it back to the pastor. This brings a greater vision and sometimes different from what the pastor would do, which can be a good thing.
- The whole worship service is one thing, not separate parts, it is one thing.
- The service is won and lost in transitions.
- Preaching and a worship service communicate what your values are.
- I really appreciated hearing how Steven prays and confesses sin before preaching. Loved hearing his heart on that.
- You can’t preach better than you pray.
- The more preaching is about the people and less about the performance, that’s when passion comes and God shows up.