Our sins, actions, all come from our heart. They come from the desires we have, many times they come from the broken places in our heart. Places we have not dealt with, sins we still carry around, hurt we pretend isn’t there, but is.
In the book Who am I? Jerry Bridges lays out some great questions to examine our hearts:
- What is my attitude toward God? Do I gladly acknowledge my dependence on him and my accountability to him?
- What is my attitude toward my sin? Am I concerned or indifferent about it?
- What is my attitude toward Jesus Christ? Do I trust in him as the one who died for my sin on the cross?
- What is my attitude toward the Bible? Do I truly want to grow in my understanding and application of it in my life?
- What is my attitude toward prayer? Do I also want to grow in this area of my life, or am I quite content to see prayer as an occasional call out to God for help?
- What is my attitude toward other Christians? Do I appreciate being with them and learning from them, or do I actually prefer the company and lifestyle of my non-Christian friends?