Sheryl WuDunn continued session 3 of the Willow Creek Leadership Summit with a talk titled “Half the Sky: Leadership in the Face of Oppression.”
Sheryl WuDunn is the Senior Managing Director of Mid-Market Securities and President of Triple Edge, two social investment and consulting firms specializing in companies run by women.
She is also the author of Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide and China Wakes: The Struggle for the Soul of a Rising Power.
Here are some highlights I grabbed from her talk:
- The central moral challenge of this century is gender inequity.
- Too many girls are forgotten in our world.
- In our world, it isn’t your IQ that decides how far you go, it is your gender.
- There are 60 – 100 million missing women in the world.
- The most effective, practical way to raise the livelihood around the world is to educate women and bring them into the workforce.
- Women and girls are part of the solution, not the problem.
- The top issue against women in our world is sex trafficking.
What was your biggest takeaway from this session?