Jeff Vanderstelt was the 5th main session speaker at the Together for Adoption conference. Jeff is one of the pastors at Soma Communities, an Acts 29 church in Tacoma, WA. His talked was titled “Gospel Motivation for Missional Living.”
Jeff spoke from 1 Peter 2:9 – 12, 3:15.
Here are some notes:
- There is no such thing as missional living without talking about Jesus.
- Jesus’ mission is that he would be glorified through his church in deed and word.
- Our lives should make no sense apart from the gospel.
- We love because we’ve first been loved. That’s the motive
- The method is to how we’ve been loved.
- Love is our motivator and our method.
- The way God loves us is the way we love, but we only do it because we’ve first been loved.
- My hope of the gospel is not in what I do or what I’ve done but in what he’s done.
- Our actions are an exhibition to the world of what God is like.
- Do you live in such a way that it is obvious that you are loved by God?
- How would you love the world as if they were your sons and daughters?
- Our lack of love for other people is because we lack an understanding of God’s love for us.
- Do you see your life that every moment is an opportunity to be an advocate for those who are not being cared for in the world?
- We advocate for others, because Jesus advocated for us.
- Don’t let needs motivate you, let the gospel motivate you.
- You will never care for the least of these the way Jesus cared for the least of these until you understand that you are the least of these.