Tonight we continued our series The Blessed Life in the book of Philippians and we looked at 3:1 – 11 where Paul talks about the law, grace and the gospels that we put our hopes in. This gets to the core of being human in that we all long for meaning, fulfillment and joy and the gospels that we believe in, we believe in those gospels in hopes that it will bring us what we long. In the end, they don’t. If you missed tonight, you can listen to it here.
Here are some books worth checking out if tonight spoke to you and you are looking for some more resources:
- God is the Gospel: Meditations on God’s Love as the Gift of Himself by John Piper
- Counterfeit Gods: The Empty Promises of Money, Sex, and Power, and the Only Hope that Matters by Timothy Keller
- Soul Cravings by Erwin McManus
- The Wisdom of Tenderness: What Happens When God’s Fierce Mercy Transforms our Lives by Brennan Manning
- Living the Cross Centered Life: Keeping the Gospel the Main Thing by C.J. Mahaney
- What’s so Amazing about Grace? by Philip Yancey
I would also encourage you to download The Blessed Life study guide and do this week’s questions. You can download it here.
One of the challenges I laid out to our church tonight was to read the book of Galatians this week. Galatians is where Paul lays out very clearly how legalism is not the gospel and how to be free from the bondage of legalism and to rest in grace.