This fall, we are preaching line by line through the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5 – 7). It is Jesus’ longest recorded sermon and covers everything from heaven, hell, marriage, money, prayer, fasting, forgiveness, and what it means to follow Jesus.
To go through this sermon, we are breaking it into 4 smaller series. The second series is called I Want a New Marriage.
The stats on marriage are alarming: 50% of marriages end in divorce. Of the couples that stay married, 2 out of 5 are happy. Which means, if you get married, you have a 20% of staying married and being happy.
Those are terrible odds.
So, how do you get to be part of the 20%? That’s what this series is all about.
While this is a series on marriage, we will get into all aspects of relationships. How do you prepare for marriage if you aren’t married? Are there things you can do to make your marriage win if you aren’t married? What do you do if you are in an unhappy marriage? What does God say about divorce? Is it ever okay? What about lust, adultery? What if I get hurt, do I need to forgive the person who hurt me, or can I make their life miserable?
The series looks like this:
- September 26: Moving Forward (Matthew 5:21 – 26)
- October 3: The One Thing That can Kill Your Marriage (Matthew 5:27 – 30)
- October 10: What’s Got to Happen for my Marriage to Work (Matthew 5:31 – 32)
- October 17: What I Said Yes To (Matthew 5:33 – 37)
- October 24: From This Moment (Matthew 5:38 – 48)