With my recent journey into church planting, I came across Community of Kindness by Steve Sjogren because as we launch Revolution, we are going to do so by spending the summer doing a lot of servant evangelism and that is the vision that he starts churches with.
This book is really a list of 106 things that church planters & church plants need to know. Some things I had read in other places and some things I had never heard, so a really helpful book. Definitely worth checking out if you are planting a church or are part of a church plant.
Here are a few thoughts:
- We believe a church that doesn’t do outreach is a waste of time (AMEN)
- Servant evangelism is all about activating people into ministry. There are no observers.
- In every church plant, there are two kinds of people – many are there for just a season, and a few are there to stay long-term.
- The kinds of people who are looking to join a church plant are the lost, the least and the lonely.
- Leaders & staff: Not everyone stays forever; even when you hire the best, many leave; departures can be done in a respectful, peaceful way; and when people leave, it creates a place for new winners to prove themselves.
- You are selling a dream – one that no one in your community has ever dreamed.
- Focus on serving.